Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Help! I'm Googling and I Can't Stop!

Well, I'm at it again. Driving myself nuts and going blind trying to find information using Google. Yesterday, I was moving more stuff from the house to the shed--LOTS of stuff, and this pops up:"Oh yeah," I said to myself and the plate, "I remember you--I paid $2 for you at the flea market a year ago. And I still don't know what you are, other than milk glass." (Oh c'mon--you know you talk to YOUR stuff). It was yucky dirty, so I washed it, and while drying it, thought I saw some actual letters stamped on the inside. 7,000 squints later, I tentatively figured out it was the word VALLERYSTAHL. Googled it and it's actually VALLERYSTHAL. And it's French milk glass, mes amies. OK, now I'm all over the internet learning about Vallerysthal and going up one dead end and down another. As with the d**n crab pin, there's no mention of this company making this type of item, whatever in the heck it is. I've even emailed a fellow bloggette who back in March posted about her French milk glass collection. I hope she answers me but I'm not holding my breath (Linda, if you're reading this, THANK YOU!). This type of milk glass has a distinctive blue tint and when I photographed the inside, it really really came out blue so I had to lighten it up somewhat.


Now if you squint really hard you can see an "R" and a "Y" in the photo below. Trying to tip the plate to see the lettering under the light while at the same time attempting to press the camera button is me trying to be that thing called "coordinated"--pathetic.

It's about 1-1/2" high and including the handles, over 14" long. What IS it? A lid? A relish dish? A vanity tray? What??!!