Monday, June 1, 2009

The World's Greatest Invention

This is a Skeeter Vac. Before the Skeeter Vac, I was known as Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner to the neighborhood mosquitoes. I could not sit outside to enjoy a cocktail in the evening without dressing in socks, tennies, long pants, long sleeve shirt buttoned up to the neck -- followed by a head to toe spray of "Off". Obviously, I could not stay outside very long dressed like this in 90 degree heat and 100% humidity. It didn't work anyway since the skeeters would bite my face, ears and hands.

Then West Nile disease made the headlines and it just wasn't worth all the effort to go outside, so I would sit on the screened in porch, my husband (who doesn't care if mosquitoes bite him) would sit just outside, and we'd pretend that this was a completely normal way to spend time with each other. It sucked, actually.

And then one day, as he was flipping through the Harbor Freight catalog (which seems to appear in our mailbox every other day), he stopped and said to me, "Honey, do you think we should get one of these Skeeter Vacs?" I said, "Do they have overnight shipping? Can we go pick it up? I don't care how much it costs--just get one NOW!"

Truly, no one is paying me to say this (although it would be nice if someone WOULD), but the Skeeter Vac totally kicks mosquito butt! It runs on a tank of propane, and as long as you don't let the propane run out, your yard (and your neighbor's!) will be virtually skeeter-free. I'm not kidding! Oh, every once in awhile one will slip through and get me, but considering how it was before, I think I can deal with an itchy spot or two.

P.S. Did you know that the mosquito is the Mississippi State Bird? It's TRUE (fingers crossed behind back . . .).