Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Wizard of Oz and A Flying Monkey Dog

70 years ago one of the all-time great movies appeared--The Wizard of Oz--based on a magical book by L. Frank Baum. For a short time in my youth, we were in possession of nearly ALL of the original Oz books and I was at just the right age to be able to read them and imagine myself as one of Ozma's pals. Actually, I much preferred Ozma over Dorothy--she was smart and brave and beautiful and everyone loved her.
Dorothy just ran around getting into mischief with that stupid big bow in her BLONDE hair:
(and BTW, had MGM been able to get Shirley Temple for the role of Dorothy like they originally intended, at least the movie Dorothy would have LOOKED like the book Dorothy) .

It was a sad day indeed when my father's sister decided she wanted those books, and I hope someone had the foresight to take good care of them.

(If you're a true Oz fan, you should check out the Hungry Tiger Press--their website hungrytigerpress.com is a treasure trove of all kinds of great Oz stuff, like this map.)

The theme of the New Orleans Barkus Mardi Gras parade in 2006 was "The Wizard of Paws." I saw several doggie AND human Flying Monkeys, but hands down, Holly was the best! I fashioned this costume all by my little crafty self with glue and velcro! See the feathery wings?

This would have been a much better picture without the monstrous hand (mine) in the middle, but trying to get a dog to stand still on top of a big antique footstool is difficult, at best.
Holly is an extremely good sport when it comes to letting me dress her up, thank goodness.

Oh! I just received my latest Wizard of Oz character Barbie--the Wicked Witch of the East. She's awesome! There's even a button to press on the outside of the box that says: "Press Here--Original soundtrack MUSIC!" Now we all know what happened to this witch, right? So even though it's appropriate to the doll, I think that hearing "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead" coming from the doll's chest is just a little gruesome . . .
And ah jest LOVES dem rooooooby slippahs!