Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Great River Road, Part I

I'm one of those people who just likes to drive around and see stuff without any particular destination in mind. Last weekend I was a little depressed, Mike was offshore, and Holly & I hadn't traveled about the countryside in awhile. I thought about going to the flea market but you have to carry your dogs and even being a Chihuahua and all, she's just too heavy. To put it bluntly, she's fat. I'm sure she says the same thing about me, though. Then I thought, "Hey! We haven't driven the River Road in ages! Let's get in the CAR and go!" Holly doesn't give a s**t about where we go--she hears the word CAR and the panting, barking and wild twirling commences.

Here's the mighty Mississippi River as photographed while driving over it (and almost crashing into the car ahead of me because I'm looking to the right rather than straight ahead):
Here's what you see when you get to the end of the bridge and look to the riverbank:Thought it was going to be a bucolic plantation scene, didn't you? Nope--the refineries are all over the banks of the River. But I did find some actual plantations. Photos coming soon.