Sunday, October 4, 2009

Kate Goes To A Gun Show

I'm the first to admit that I'm a bleeding heart liberal.  Card-carrying.  FLAMING, even!!  So when I said to hubby, "Hey, wanna go to that gun show in Laurel this weekend," well, he looked at me like I'd just suggested going to an orgy with space aliens and Karl Rove.  I mean, I drive around with THIS on my car:


And this:


And THIS!  Well, it's not political but I sure do love my Mudflap Man (and it looks like I might need to get me 'nother one from Northern Sun):


So here we go, festooned and adorned with LIBERAL OBAMA-LOVING COMMIE PINKO stickers all over my car, driving merrily up to Laurel, Mississippi for the gun show.  I'm not interested in guns one way or the other, although I'm married to a NRA member who loves loves loves to play shoot 'em up.  He shoots at paper targets and is not interested in hunting down Bambi and friends. 


Here's our official stamp after paying six bucks apiece to enter the Gun Show.  Our waitress at Red Lobster stared at our hands like they were covered with green and purple dots.


And guess what?  I BOUGHT SOMETHING AT THE GUN SHOW! 
LOOK!
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#


A gorgeous, breathtaking, perfect Weiss rhinestone brooch!  Leave it to me to go to a gun show and go home with costume jewelry!  (Click on the image for a better view).

P.S.:  and just why did I want to go to a gun show if I'm not interested in guns?  Well, sometimes it's a good idea to mingle with people (other than my dear husband) who don't share your philosophical views.  As it turned out, 99% of the people there were just looking at and buying guns and ammo.  There was just ONE booth that carried survivalist, anti-government literature and it didn't look like he was having a big sale day with books like The Turner Diaries and a how-to manual on how-to steal someone's identity.  Which is apparently perfectly legal until you USE someone else's identity.

Good grief.