Thursday, February 26, 2009

My Mother, Marian Bogs


Mom passed away on January 26, 2009 after battling Alzheimer's for over three years. About a month and a half ago, she fell and broke her leg, which meant surgery--where she suffered a stroke. She died less than two weeks after the surgery and I know she just didn't want to go on any longer. In fact, she told me she was dying and of course I poo-pooed that . . . but she knew and I believe she was comfortable with it. Having lived 81 years and lost both the love of her life and her youngest child, she was ready. Now she's with George S. and Cynthia and Mike Nordan and Beau and all her beloved horses, cats, dogs, goats and friends. Not sure if her mother went UP or DOWN, but I do know that her stepfather, Walter, was waiting for his daughter with open arms. I had a hard time dealing with the Alzheimer's and for the two years she lived with me it was a constant battle, lots of yelling and name-calling on both our parts. I didn't have the patience to deal with everything that comes with the disease and she would never admit there was anything wrong with her. But then again, who wants to admit to yourself that your brain is gone? She was stubborn, yes indeedy. Sometimes I hated her but I never stopped loving her.